Prefinished hardwood flooring sales has only recently overtaken unfinished or site finished hardwood flooring sales. This is party due to the fact that prefinished hardwood flooring is less expensive to install because it requires less labor during installation. It is also due to the fact that prefinished wood flooring has a more durable finish that can’t be achieved on floors finished on the job site. However, unfinished wood flooring remains popular as well because it is available in more widths and wood species than prefinished and can be matched to existing wood floors.
When to choose Prefinished Hardwood Flooring
- If you are installing the wood flooring in an existing home, prefinished flooring is generally easier to install and less messy.
- Prefinished wood works better in areas that receive high traffic and heavy wear and tear because it provides a more durable finish.
- If you are trying to avoid fumes and a big mess, pre-finished flooring is cleaner to install.
- If cost is a concern, prefinished flooring is typically less expensive.
- If you are installing the floor in a room with high humidity, prefinished flooring resists buckling and warping and is suitable for changes in climate.
- If you are looking for a fast and easy installation, prefinished flooring is the choice to make.
- If you are looking to use engineered wood, most come prefinished.
When to choose unfinished or site finished hardwood flooring
- When trying to match to an existing floor or trim, unfinished wood is generally easier to stain to match.
- If you are having the floors installed throughout your entire home, having the floor finished on site will provide a more uniform color and finish.
- If you are looking for an unusual wood species or specific plank width, unfinished wood flooring offers the most options.
- Unfinished flooring would be most appropriate if your home has historical significance or if you are trying to maintain the architectural integrity of it.
- If your floor is not precisely level, you may opt for unfinished flooring because it doesn’t depend on a precisely level subfloor the way a pre-finished floor does.
Please take a few moments to check some of our customer testimonials and then get in touch with us for a estimate on your hardwood flooring needs or to meet with one of our design consultants to custom design your new floor. You can visit us at our Newark, DE Showroom or we can come to you.
In PA Call – (610) 631-3200 In DE Call – (302) 731-8009 or complete our Contact Form.